Create a “Definition Chart” that defines learning disabilities and communication disorders, identifies characteristics and causes, and describes, with examples, effective teaching strategies and placement options.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected for this part of the assignment.
Write an essay of 1,000-1,250 words in which you examine, through two of the following activities, the impact of learning disabilities and or communication disorders on student achievement.
1. Visit your local school district and discover how policies, procedures, and programs are implemented for the education of students with learning disabilities and/or communication disorders.
2. Explain the term learning disability to concerned parents.
3. At a local school, investigate how policies, procedures, and programs are implemented with individual students with disabilities. Attend an IEP meeting of a student with learning disabilities and/or communication disorders. Visit, observe, and participate in both inclusionary and special education settings serving students with special needs. Interview related service providers and educators who work with students with special needs to ascertain effective practices with students with special needs.
4. Interview a speech-language therapist. Ask what you could do to enhance the therapist’s work with a student in your classroom.
5. Interview the parents of a child with learning disabilities and/or communication disorders to find out what they would like teachers to do to help their child in school.
Prepare this part of the assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is/is not required.