Recruiting is the first stage in which organizational plans for staffing come into contact with the labor market for employees.
Recruiting is the first stage in which organizational plans for staffing come into contact with the labor market for employees. Before making any new recruiting effort, an organization needs to carefully consider the methods available and balance out the costs of each method with the organization’s needs.
Part 3 provides an opportunity to see how staffing managers develop plans for recruiting efforts. You will develop a recruiting strategy and a recruiting guide for the store associate job. The case also demonstrates how you can use organizational data to determine what the best methods for recruiting are. Finally, you will have an opportunity to develop various forms of recruiting messages that will encourage individuals to apply for jobs as sales associates at Tanglewood.
Analyze the information from the recruiting data and prepare a report showing the results of the analysis for your director.
- Start by developing a recruitment guide like that shown in Exhibit 5.3 in the textbook. Note that the current situation differs from the example provided in the book because there is no specific timeline for hiring; this is a continuous recruiting effort because even as positions are being filled, new positions are becoming available. It is also different because Tanglewood does not have a specific list of minimal educational requirements as qualifications.
- Describe the best “targets” for your recruiting efforts by considering the job and organizational context. Evaluate the various methods of recruiting in terms of whether they seem more like “open” or “targeted” recruiting, using the information in the book to help you make this decision. If some methods seem more “targeted,” whom do you think they target?
- For each division use the data tables provided in Appendix B to estimate how each method fares in terms of yields and costs. Provide a one-page summary of the essential results of the various data tables you have been provided.
- Northern Oregon has suggested that the other divisions of the company use a policy of using kiosks and staffing agencies rather than using the more “touchy-feely” method of relying on referrals. Does this division have a point? What would the effect of other regions increasing their use of external hiring be?
- Tanglewood’s top management is highly committed to improving customer service quality, and proposes that simply finding the cheapest way to hire is not sufficient. Besides costs and retention, what other measures of employee performance would be good “bottom line” metrics for the quality of a recruiting method? How might the managerial focus groups’ concerns fit with these alternative considerations?
- The question of realism in the recruitment policy has been raised in focus groups. Write one paragraph proposals for targeted, realistic, and branded recruiting messages for Tanglewood’s customer store associate positions. What are the traditional arguments for and against using realistic recruiting policies?
100 points possible
- Case Description/Introduction (5 points)
- Development of a Recruitment Guide (15 points)
- Describe the best “targets” for their recruiting efforts by considering the job and organizational context (15 points)
- Estimate how each method fares in terms of yields and costs (15 points)
- Northern Oregon’s suggestion for other divisions (15 points)
- Other measures of employee performance that might be good “bottom line” metrics for the quality of a recruiting method and how the managerial focus groups’ concerns might fit with these alternative considerations (15 points)
- One paragraph proposals for targeted, realistic, and branded recruiting messages for Tanglewood’s customer store associate positions (15 points)
- Conclusion (5 points)
According to this current readings, the general diagnostic model used to examine the working relationships of people in organizations, groups, and individuals is the open systems model, which includes three components:According to this current readings, the general...
- What are some of the primary reasons a company ...
- Which employee selection method would you recom...
- Criminal Justice
- Gender Studies
- General Questions
- Health Care
- Political Science
- Religious Studies