Review the article, Race, poverty and punishment: The impact of criminal sanctions on racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic inequality,
Review the article, Race, poverty and punishment: The impact of criminal sanctions on racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic inequality, as you to prepare for this paper. As Wheelock and Uggen (2006) point out, “the association between crime, punishment, and poverty has long been the subject of sociological and criminological investigation” (p. 1). This assignment is intended illustrate the interconnection of social problems.
Write a paper discussing the overlap of crime, punishment, and poverty. In your paper, please elaborate on the following points raised by the authors:
- Criminal sanctions and victimization work to form a system of disadvantage that perpetuates stratification and poverty.
- Punishment impacts individuals convicted of felonies, as well as their families, peer groups, neighborhoods, and racial group.
- After controlling for population differences, African Americans are incarcerated approximately seven times as often as Whites.
- Variation in criminal punishment is linked to economic deprivation.
- As the number of felons and former felons rises, collateral sanctions play an ever-larger role in racial and ethnic stratification, operating as an interconnected system of disadvantage.
The paper must be two to three pages in length and formatted according to APA style. You must use at least two scholarly resources other than the textbook and required readings to support your claims and subclaims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
- What is marketing research? How has the Interne...
- Instructions – Read the following questio...
- Introduction to Management Science (Decision Su...
- Criminal Justice
- Gender Studies
- General Questions
- Health Care
- Political Science
- Religious Studies