Describe Gary Latham and Edwin Lock’s goal setting theory.
One standard corporations use to evaluate their performance against their competitors is the set of rankings developed by Fortune magazine. These include the Fortune 500, the 100 Best Companies to Work For, and other lists. The public also uses these rankings to decide to what companies they should give their business; however, should they? Is there an intrinsic value in these rankings, or are they subjective? Should a business set a specific ranking on a list like this as a standard to be met? Support your assertions.
What are the strengths and weaknesses of the iterative PMLC, expand upon each point. Must be a minimum of 2 paragraphs.
MEDICAL SYSTEMS, INC.
Case 4: Recruitment and Selection
Now that you know what a Help Desk Manager should be doing, the owners want to hire one as quickly as possible. The owners want you to consider internal and external candidates.
Describe how you will recruit and select qualified candidates for the Help Desk Manager position. Specifically,
1. Explain how you would obtain internal and external candidates, where you would look, and what methods you would use. Also design a job posting that you will post internally and will send to your recruiting sources.
2. Assuming you received 12 applications/resumes for the position, consisting of 2 internal candidates and 10 external candidates,
a. Describe how you will select the Help Desk Manager. Be sure to include in your description the process you will use for screening the applicants, and any testing you might use in the process.
b. By necessity, you will need to do interviews. Describe what type of interview you will conduct, and create a general list of the type of questions you will ask the candidates.
Can a business entrepreneur succeed as a social entrepreneur? Why or why not? Support your answer.
Please help with an assessment how the article relates to the financial management of a company. By answering the following questions
1. What is the author’s focus?
2. What points is the author making?
3. How does the authors points apply to financial management?
4. Explain the process of financial forecasting and is it done?
5. What is the author’s conclusion, findings or recommendation?
Bank to investigate its handling of financial crash: Forecasting and liquidity policy to be scrutinised ‘Not what is needed,’ says select committee chair
Treanor, Jill; Inman, Phillip. The Guardian [London (UK)] 22 May 2012: 23.
The case addresses:
What strategies would you employ to improve the usefulness of business meetings? Incorporate two or more of the strategic considerations (Should we meet, Who should attend, Premeeting Arrangements, Leadership Style, Decision-Making Format, Follow-Up).
This solution includes “preparation” of a meeting, such as ensuring participants have the information they need prior to the meeting. An agenda will provide the foundation to keep the meeting “on track” and running effectively. There should also be a moderator or “lead” that is charged with keeping the discussing moving; and prohibits discussions which turn combative or verge off topic.
Assume you are the project manager for a software company and your team is in charge of delivering an update to tax preparation software for the next tax season. The project team has ten software developers working together, but located across the country. You have the following information about the project, and need to provide a status to the sponsors. Please write a one page status report to the sponsors, providing a clear indication of status of the project. The sponsors also like to only know the two most important risks, and what could be done to mitigate the risk if it happens. The conclusion of the status report must describe any requests for additional resources, if they are necessary.
New items you learned this month about the project:
- There is a three day weekend in the coming month.
- Nine of the developers are on track to finish their tasks 2 weeks early.
- One software developer took the recently announced “early retirement” package, and is leaving in one week. He is confident he will be able to finish his piece of the work before he leaves.
- It is hurricane season in Florida, where three of the developers are located.
- The developer who is retiring is the only person who knows how to get approval for the final product from the IRS.
- The project costs are under budget and there has been no need for overtime.
How are the three characteristics of effective teams evident in each of Tuckman’s five stages of team development? Provide examples to support your response.
1. Good time management for project managers includes initiating contact with key stakeholders only when there is a valid issue to deal with.
2. A project manager should identify a problem in terms of its alternate solutions so that team members can more easily reach a decision on how to solve the problem.
3. Networks are mutually beneficial alliances that are generally governed by the law of:
b Brooks’s law
d A squeaky wheel
4. During which stage of team development is high performance not a top priority and team member emotions run from upbeat to depressed? (Points : 1)
5. The second ring in the network of relationships for project managers includes all of the following except: (Points : 1)
a Other project managers
c Functional managers
d Top management
e Project sponsors
6. Which of the following would be defined as the ability or skill to perceive, assess and manage the emotions of one ‘s self and others? (Points : 1)
a Emotional stability
b Coolness under pressure
c Emotional intelligence
e Management sensitivity
7. Symptoms of groupthink include: (Points : 1)
a The team thinking it is invincible
b Opinions of those outside the team are considered to be irrelevant
c Critical thinking disappears
d Pressure is applied to any dissenter
e All of these are symptoms of groupthink
8. The first step in facilitating group decision making is to: (Points : 1)
a Call a meeting to discuss the problem
b Identify the problem
c Agree that there is a problem
d Quantify the problem
e Generate alternatives
9. Which of the following is not one of the most significant sources of conflict during the project planning phase? (Points : 1)
d Technical requirements
10. All of the following have been found to be good for running effective project meetings except:
a Start meetings on time regardless of whether everyone is present
b Identify an adjournment time
c Thoroughly document all decisions
d Prepare and distribute an agenda prior to the meeting
e All of these are good for effective meetings