Describe and evaluate the effectiveness of Google’s approach to business strategy; that is, how is Google creating a sustainable competitive advantage?
- Describe Google’s core products and business model—the basis upon which the firm makes money. Analyze the dual strategy that Google employs to execute its business model.
- Review Google’s mission statement and the values that are described in the
case study. Analyze how Google applies the strategy and principle of options
valuation to create share holder value.
- Analyze how Google is competing. Conduct a high-level financial review.
- Synthesize how the dual strategy is implemented in the user base, core
market (search engine) and movement into adjacent technological areas.
- Analyze Google’s industry environment using Porter’s Five Forces Model.
Consider Grant’s postulation of a sixth force. Identify the forces Google
leverages to gain competitive advantage and/or alter the industry
- Identify and analyze Google’s key resources and capabilities. Consider their
core products and management capabilities. How does Google leverage its
technical resources to achieve new product development leadership
- Articulate one or more strategic issues related to the degree to which
Google has aligned its mission and capabilities to its business strategy and its
ability to create a sustained competitive advantage.
Describe and evaluate the effectiveness of Google’s corporate strategy–that
is, where is Google focusing to sustain its competitive advantage?
- Describe Google’s organizational structure and management systems. Address
how functions within the company are organized differently and identify the
organizational theory that drives organizational design changes in response to
- Describe the basis of Google’s competitive advantage. Explain the generic
strategy (cost or differentiation or hybrid) that Google employs to achieve a
- Evaluate Google’s corporate diversification strategy into new products and
- Assess whether diversification creates value for Google shareholders; use
Porter’s three essential tests to evaluate:
- Video sharing (YouTube).
- Browsers (Chrome).
- Mobile phone operating systems (Android).
- Articulate one or more strategic issues related to Google management’s
ability to coordinate organizational activities and/or corporate diversification
into new products.