Read the Case Study below, which discusses an incident in which an individual challenged his conviction for burning an American flag. Then answer the questions that follow.
- The case study references one state statute. Identify it and explain what it prohibits.
- Which branch of government (executive, judicial, or legislative) created the state statute?
- The passage above also discusses one court case. Who were the parties involved in the case?
- The case was heard by three lower courts before it reached the United States Supreme Court. List those three courts in order, beginning with the court that has the most authority and ending with the court that has the least amount of authority.
- Provide the citation for the United States Supreme Court’s decision in this case.
- What effect did the United States Supreme Court’s decision have on the Texas statute?
- Write 1-2 paragraphs explaining the difference between case law (like the court cases above) and statutory law (like the state statute above). Focus your discussion on how case law and statutes are created, the weight of their authority, and how they can be amended or changed.